Sunday, September 28, 2008

I love Sundays...

I was raised in a family that has always put family first. From as far back as I can remember my mother and grandmother have said to me, "people will come and go in your life, but your family will always be your family." Its something I find myself repeating to my own children frequently. Probably the thing I missed most about living in St. Louis was Sundays. For us, Sunday is family day. If you don't "have" to be somewhere else, you're always welcome to lunch at mom's. On any given Sunday you will find 10-30 people gathered at mom and dad's for a holiday style meal complete with at least two delectable desserts to chose from. As the meal winds down the kids head outside, the men make their way to the big screen to watch whatever sport happens to be in season and the ladies gather around the dining room table for some "gab" time. Conversation topics vary each week and can range from disciplining our children to global warming. Regardless of the importance of the topic you can bet there will be a heated debate and thus the need for the "speaking spoon." The person holding the spoon is to be given the floor... no interruptions. Great theory... we are still working on the execution...

No comments: